Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh, art thy Book Fairs!!! Where have you been!!!

NUMBER 87
I’m going home.  I’m going home!!!!!  I will be attending the National Book Festival on the National Mall in DC and not volunteering this time.  I go there every year because it's home, I see my friends, my “hood” neighborhood and I’m in my “World” and not a damn worry, man, woman, or nut can touch or bother me.  My kid is coming with me too.  I miss her and will be so happy to see her.  She graduated from college in May, in graduate school and got a job, not a regular old job, a damn good job that I worked my ass off by keeping, tracking and hounding my contacts.  What more can a mother ask for?  A beautiful child with intelligence, Christian values, beautiful smile, great friends and a great Dad.  I say my prayers all day long for having and raising a good child.  With so many parents struggling with raising children in 2011 with the economy so bad and every time you look at the news on TV or newspaper, you hear nothing but bad news all damn day from people complaining about their kids, I’m just beyond blessed to have raised my kid under my crazy ass wing (Oh!! Yeah, I’m crazy and proud of it and was not, repeat, was not going to let another black kid catch hell.  I am the one giving hell not her catching it) and it worked.  
I will be reporting my trip when I return, like I have before and of course, will be buying books and breaking my stance on my budget.  It’s hard when I see so many stories and so many beautiful, new smelling good books!!! I just go crazy.  I have become a “bookwhore,” yes, folks, it has come to that!!! I cannot live without my books.  I can live without sex, and some people and some food, but cannot and will not live without books.  “Bookwhore” or as my T-Shirts says, “Book Slut” and “Got, Books!!! (Like the milk ad), it don’t matter, I am What I am!!! Live with it!!
Some of the authors attending the book fair and Mrs Obama is scheduled to make an appearance (I’m so glad I got a new phone when I was in Houston for the other book fair), not I can take pictures from my phone.  Yeah, Yeah, I should have gotten with the program a long time ago, but my but is on a budget and an upgrade to my phone was not in the picture (Get it!!)

pastedGraphic.pdf 

2011 National Book Festival
LIVE Saturday, 10 am - 6 pm ET &
Sunday, 1 pm - 6:30 pm ET
from the National Mall in Washington, DC



RITA DOVE - Poet Laureate of the United States by the Library of Congress, making her the youngest person and the first African-American.


TERRY McMILLIAN - Hey, you know all of the books she wrote.


TONI MORRISON - Enough said!!


ISABELL WILKERSON - The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration - $14.99


KIMBERLA LAWSON ROBY - Her latest is, Secret Obsession - $9.99
KIA DuPREE - ROBBING PETER - $13.99 Paperback - - -  I've never heard of this author, but you know I’m going to get her book and support her.  Here’s a recap of the story - - - Single mother of five, Vivica Jeffries, struggles daily to maintain her household, her sanity and control of her rebellious teen-aged twins, Elijah and Elgin. The two are quickly following in their father's negligent lawless footsteps, and soon come face to face with a felony charge for gang rape. Vivica is at her wit's end with her ex-husband who still manages to wreak havoc on her family. Will her faith see her through? Two other women, sex siren Iralaun Fugere and snooty Belinda Maxwell, are also struggling with problems with their fathers. Though scars heal thick, they soon learn life is a carnival ride.  Does this sound familiar!
WALLY AMOS - He will be at the Family Storytelling Stage.
RITA WILLIAMS-GARCIA - Teen books

And more more.  So many others and I am going to try to see them all.  May not be able to buy all of their books, but I got my kindle and iPad and will damn sure try.
Another book festival BALTIMORE BOOK FESTIVAL  - http://www.baltimorebookfestival.com the same weekend.  I may not make that one, but who knows.  So who will be there:
TERRY McMILLIAN
COMMON
KIMBERLA LAWSON ROBY
ROLAND S. MARTIN
AARON “BIG DADDY” McCARGO, JR.
JACQUELYN MITCHARD
TAVIS SMILEY
SHIRLEY STRAWBERRY 
Too many books, too many book fairs and book sales - I’m loving every single nano million times of gazillions times feast of it and can’t stop.
WHOA!!!! MAN!!!! it’s on!!!!
pastedGraphic.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment