Sunday, July 11, 2010

Church Folk



Number 10

It’s time to go to church. I got home from church this morning, started cooking dinner, and pressed or laid out my clothes for the whole week. Yes, I’m anal like that. I do not like getting up in the morning and looking for something to wear. A week or two worth of clothes is hanging on the door. I walk the dog, take care of bathroom business (There are many people out there who are not taking care of bathroom business – They stink), get the outfit for the day on, feed my dog, drink my coffee and on to work. Why waste time. No time to look for something to wear.

Let’s get started on the day. I love my church and I’m sure you do as well. It sets my week off and gets me through the rough days ahead. Does it for you?

MICHELE ANDREA BOWEN
CHURCH FOLK - $9.99
I read this book last year and started looking for her books. This reminds me of Payton Place for Black folks (For those of you who do not know Payton Place, see the movie with Lana Tuner (Yeah, I know, she’s white), but the movie is good. Essie Lee Lane marries a good preacher. A man who has to deal with sex, greed, politics and bad behavior of the members of the Greater Hope Gospel United Church (Long name I know!). You know how we are in church and Bowen’s writing put it out there. A pretty funny book too!

MICHELE ANDREA BOWEN
SECOND SUNDAY - $9.99
All right now, we are back in church at Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church. They have to select a new pastor and everyone got their own ideas of who it should be. We got the Diva woman, the holy woman, and the men who think (or should we say know!) that they are good looking and that every woman wants them. More plots to keep you laughing and crying and some weird characters. You will not be disappointed.

MICHELE ANDREA BOWEN
UP AT THE COLLEGE - $9.99
Here it is the year 2010 and there are still some women who believe in the Cinderella story. Yes, even me. Just maybe my version is a little different. I do believe there is a guy out there for me and you. I believe Steve Harvey when he and others say, a good black man does exist. I have lots of friends who are good black men. It may take some time, but they are out there. Just give it to the Lord, he knows what to do. With the backstabbing and divorce, Yvonne goes back home to find peace with the Lord. She also finds a good black man. There is nothing wrong with that, especially now. We need him more.

MICHELE ANDREA BOWEN
HOLY GHOST CORNER - $9.99
I laughed and laughed until I cried. Ms. Bowen knows church and she knows Baptist church people. You will meet Theresa Elaine Hopson, owner of “Miss Thang’s Holy Ghost Corner and Church Women’s Boutique.” (I’m not kidding). How come she can't find a man but her friend Baby Doll, with false teeth and horrible clothes, can?

MICHELE ANDREA BOWEN
MORE CHURCH FOLK - $9.99 (Comes out July 28, 2010)
You can’t stop now. You got to find out what happens to the church folk after 23 years. I will understand if you are a true Christian and maybe this book may not move you, but give it a try. You know damn well you see these same people in your own church!

Have you read the latest comment on Black women and Church? Check out this website - http://survivingdating.com/black-churches-how-black-churches-keep-african-american-women-single-and-alone

No comments:

Post a Comment