Saturday, October 13, 2012

I told you, Black Kindle is Back!!!!


NUMBER 130
It had been awhile since my last blog posting and I’m finally beginning to catch up.  Not only with the blog though, but my work at my regular job and trying to also keep up with the changes at the Part Time Job at the Asylum.  I’m tired, just tired.  Working two jobs; volunteering and finally signed up for the 10 week Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class.  I have even missed my weekly reading of two to three books.  I’ve just been tired.  Then to top it off, I came back from my fantastic trip home (DC) returned to work one day and got sick as a dog for the next four days.  I guess my body informed me to sit the hell down and stay there.  So I stayed and I rested. It was necessary.
You see, I was getting excited more and more about going home.  I miss home.  I miss my kid and our weekly visits to the library, book store, and book fairs.  I miss the times I coached her in soccer and baseball and took her to play basketball. Unfortunately I couldn’t coach her in basketball because the parents became obsessive and nutty and I did not feel like fighting some dumb ass parent over a ball.  I drove us to Disney Land, the beaches in South Carolina and Jekyll Island in Georgia.  By the way, Jekyll Island is the most beautiful beach in the world.  Peaceful, calm and not crowded.  That kid and I traveled to over 18 states and I loved every single minute about it.  That’s what I miss.  Our time, especially when I was broke and we brought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with my famous Ice Tea to places we could not afford to buy food, and the times spent together surpassed my expectations.  I did not expect to ever have those overwhelmingly happy times and memories, except those I have of my time with my Grandmother. Now I have both of those great people with amazing memories.  When my grandmother died, half of my heart died with her, but the time with my daughter has filled that place in so many ways. I’m completely thankful for that.
So I was getting more and more excited with going home.  Even to the traffic, the noise, the malls, Tyson’s Corner, the smells, the ambiances, the people, restaurants, streets, and museums.  I was so anxious and very much in a hurry to get home.  Home!!!
MONICA MATHIS-STOWE - WHERE DID WE GO WRONG? - $3.99 - - - In this newly released romantic suspense novel, best friends Gabby, Maxine and Joy protect each other at all costs, even if it means keeping secrets that turn their lives upside down. Gabby has no boundaries when it comes to getting what she wants. She pulls out every trick in the book to keep her daughter's married father out of their lives but keep his money in her bank account, while Maxine lives for her family but when her husband's excessive spending lands them in more debt than they can handle, the stress takes a toll on their perfect marriage. After Joy's loyalty to her controlling mother causes her to lose the only man she's ever loved, she marries a man she barely knows. When the wedding is over, she quickly realizes she made the biggest mistake of her life and it puts everybody she loves in danger. Unfortunately, someone will have to pay the ultimate price with their life.
JOHNNIE MITCHELL - MISSING ANGEL - $1.25 - - - Angel Mandrell is a beautiful model with a penchant for helping men in distress.  When Angel comes up missing, ex-Chicago cop, and best-selling author, George Washington launches a search.  During the course of investigating Angel’s disappearance, Washington finds himself becoming more and more fascinated by a woman he has never met; fascinated to the point of falling for her.  By the time two women with ties to Angel are murdered, Washington realizes he’s in a race against time to prevent her from suffering the same fate.

RUTH P. WATSON - BLACKBERRY DAYS OF SUMMER - $9.99 - - - Review by my BookClubGroup member, Flash - - - What a WONDERFUL book! The plot was a refreshing change from a lot of the stories we see today. The characters were so complex and interesting. The novel follows the lives of three women in 1920's Virginia. The common thread for these women is one man, Herman Camm. When Camm takes way more than he could ever give, will these women be able to redeem their lives? Although the storyline was a bit predictable, I still wanted to read every word.

DAVID MILLER with JERRY CRAFT (illustrator) - KHALIL'S WAY - $12.00 paperback ($3.99 shipping) - - - It’s a children’s book about the journey of Khalil Joseph, an 11 year old boy growing up in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  I just love the cover and plan on buying it for one of the kids at the neighborhood school.  


CHANZ’E WITCHER - ALL I WANT - $5.59 - - - Have you ever wished for anything? What if you could have everything you ever wanted? In "All I Want," a little girl wishes for a different name and a pretty lunch box and new shoes. With the help of her mom and a little green book she will discover that she actually does have all she wants.



Another “church drama” book:
SHEILA E. LIPSEY - MY SISTER MY MOMMA MY WIFE (MY SON'S WIFE) - $7.99 - - - Did not know there are three other installments.  In this, the 4th installment in the "My Son's Wife" series, and Stiles Graham is the proud father of a little girl by his wife, Detria. Although he loves his role as daddy, he doesn't act so happy when it comes to his role as husband. His mind continues to have thoughts about his ex-wife, Rena who seems to have moved on with her life in Andover, Massachusetts with none other than Robert Becton. Stiles is further stunned beyond belief when he uncovers secrets that have been hidden away for years about the Graham family. In his search to heal the wounds of the past, he is hit with the truth about his very own mother, his one and only sister, Francesca (Frankie) and his new wife, Detria. What does a man of God do when the enemy pulls out all stops to destroy everything that he has believed in, including God's mercy and grace.
KENDALL BANKS - WELFARE GRIND - $9.69 - - - I met this author at the National Book Club Conference in Atlanta last year.  If I remember, she was with two other women authors and they were dressed just as the “sexually driven women” on their book covers.  Wow!!  
Cold-hearted Keema takes the world by storm as she navigates her way through every trick and scam she can pull off. With four kids in tow, living off the welfare system, has become her life, along with the extra cash, sex and violence, her gangsta boyfriend, Dupree brings her way. Soon, chaos erupts, causing Keema’s secret past to become a problem. When the chips fall, they fall hard, leaving Keema willing to do whatever it takes to keep money in her pocket. She’s willing to go that extra mile, even if it means selling her kids, or setting up her man.
Got to get one in for Black History Year 
Another reason I could not wait to get home was to attend the National Book Festival on the Mall in DC and see some of my favorite authors.  I will be blogging on that later.  One being:
STEPHEN L. CARTER - NEW ENGLAND WHITE - $11.99 - - - Think of the TV family, The Cosby Show, that black middle class family but this family has  some serious issues, some serious issues.

Lemaster Carlyle, the president of the country's most prestigious university, and his wife, Julie, the divinity school's deputy dean, are America's most prominent and powerful African American couple. Driving home through a swirling blizzard late one night, the couple skids off the road. Near the sight of their accident they discover a dead body. To her horror, Julia recognizes the body as a prominent academic and one of her former lovers. 
In the wake of the death, the icy veneer of their town Elm Harbor, a place Julie calls "the heart of whiteness," begins to crack, having devastating consequences for a prominent local family and sending shock waves all the way to the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment