Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Black Kindle is Back!!!


NUMBER 129
Since I’ve been away for a while, let me bring you up to date on Kerry, my last blog posting.  The man Jim introduced me to and I found out later that day that he just got out jail after serving 27 years at different times.  I dumped him, sorry, but it had to be done.  I did continue to see him at church for a few weeks after that and he would say hi and ask how I was doing.  I would also repeat the same.  I knew over time, though, he would eventually drop out of sight and so far, I have not seen him at church.  I did hear that he is still working with Jim, but that could be a lie.  I still feel bad and wish I could help, but his life is truly over and it’s not coming back.  Oh, yeah I heard the stories of how good men got caught in the cycle of prison and managed to get themselves together, but this guy is so far behind the ball with no high school diploma or marketable skills, it is going to be a big struggle.  I got the impression that he thought that if he found a good woman to live with, (he is living with his sister, her brother who does not work and smoke pot all day, and the sister’s young child), to move in with, help him with what ever is needed, he would make it.  He’s probably right.  He will find a good woman who wants a man enough that she will ignore his past.  Hopefully, her past is better and she has the time and energy to help him, but let’s face it, his past will haunt him for the rest of his life since we live in a society that will never forget or forgive.  A life where finding a job is hard and you look up at the age of 60 or 70 and still find yourself living way below poverty.  I wish I could help, but there’s not much I can do but pray, which I do.  
Speaking of living in poverty,
Part Time Job at the Asylum
Gail, who was fired, still managed to come to the store, thank goodness she is not cussing and fussing, but meets with her “social group.” Three of them work there.  Her sister, Tasha (a young 19 who is the laziest child) and Savannah.  This social club has fundraiser parties (In the hood area) to donate the money to children charities.  I’m happy they have created something bigger than themselves and I hope it works.  When they do meet at the store, they are loud and pure ghettos.  Two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, the four of them were arguing over some bullshit and disturbing the other customers.  You know what it looked like.  Here’s a bunch of loud, obnoxious black women acting ill-considered on purpose to upset the white man sitting across from them.  He ignored them, put his ear plugs in and went back to working on his computer.  I managed to quiet them down and Gail’s sister also asks them to lower their voices.  Gail started to say something stupid and loud, but I managed to stop that crap.  It was out of control and it once again pissed me off.  Here are four; at least I think they are intelligent, black women, working in a low paying job with 2, 3 or 4 kids between all of them, little computer knowledge and prospects for advancements are limited, except the acceptance of poverty.  Oh, but they know how to use Face book.  Oh, yeah, they can use damn face book all got damn day, but can’t do a decent resume or a simple spreadsheet.  I have offered to teach them.  Provided information on free classes in Word and Excel, but I get the same of old excuses.  Yes, yes, I know, I can’t save the world, but it just pisses me off because they can do.  They just don’t want to do it because it’s right.  
Moving on!  That particular day I did not much care, except for the considering of the customer.  I knew that in three days, I was going to be off from both jobs and just couldn’t wait.  I also knew in my gut that once I returned back to the Part Time Job at the Asylum, crap would have hit the fan again.  Remember the fiasco last Christmas where I brought money as a gift (selected one of the employees’ name from a box) and a dish and no one showed up.  I’m ready this time.  I’m not wasting my time, energy, money or food.  And since Gail is gone and no one else wants to be responsible, it probably won’t happen.  
I forgot to mention that Gail called Kat last week and ask if she could have her job back.  After she cussed, fussed and threaten that woman?  Is she crazy, yes, crazy as hell.  Kat and the owners told her no. So many times I tried to explain to Gail that her outbursts the day she was fired and her continued cussing and fussing outside in front of the store was not going to help her and it didn’t.  Gail has been out of work since June and she’s not really looking that hard for another job.  She went back to New Jersey to try and convince the married man that she has two children by to marry her.  He said no and dummy came back pregnant with baby number 3.  A short time later, she aborted it.  I got this story from her sister, but there are times they tell me the “flower painted picture” instead of the “garbage one.”  I just pray for them and let them be.  They are crazy, but I do love them because each week it seems they want to try.  So I forgive, forget and move forward.  I’ll be back later this week.  The Part Time Job nuts ain’t over yet.  Drama, drama and more drama.  
On to books:

I found out on Face book that Dee Stewart, who wrote books under the name Miranda Parker, died this week.  I met Ms. Parker at the National Book Club Conference last year.  She had the biggest smile and very funny and warm.  I liked her from the beginning.  Since I never heard of her before,  I brought her book.  I have not started reading it yet, but I am now.  Here are her books and so far, everyone who has read them, love them.  My prayers go out to her family and friends.  We lost another great writer. 
A GOOD EXCUSE TO BE BAD - $9.52 - - - Smart, gorgeous, and too tough for her own good, bail recovery agent and single mom Evangeline Crawford moved to the burbs for a quiet life. Fortunately, it’s not turning out that way.
Angel has to admit she’s feeling restless. The only excitement in her new life is her schoolgirl crush on the town’s new pastor, Justus-too-Hot-to-be-Holy Morgan. But a fateful encounter and a job gone wrong at Club Night Candy in underground Atlanta is about to change all that.  Soon, Angel is  trying to save her diva-zilla twin sister from her big mouth and a scandalous murder charge, and probing a church cover-up-with none other than Justus by her side. But Angel has one more pressing concern: will Bella be ready for kindergarten? Only time will tell for this bad girl gone good whose days are once again far from boring-and hopefully far from numbered.

Here's a review from MzCarmen on Amazon, “Angel works as a bail bonds recovery agent. She only started this profession after she left her job as a reporter for the Atlanta Sentinel. It can be a dangerous profession, but the pay is excellent.

Angel seems to be quite popular these days as her pastor Rev. Justus Morgan (a very handsome man) wants to hire her to follow his niece Kelly to see why she seems to be MIA all hours of the night. Angel doesn't think this is a good idea because the Pastor is really fine and single and she has a little crush on him.

Then her twin sister, Ava, calls her and wants to "stay" with her for a few days. Angel does not have a problem with it until she sees Ava and the detective in her knows that her sister is trouble. When Ava tells Angel to leave it alone, the curiosity inside of her pushes full steam ahead. Will this cost Ava?

I really enjoyed "A Good Excuse To Be Bad." It was funny, romantic and mysterious. I could connect with Angel and Rev. Justus, and I really enjoyed the mother character.

I highly recommend this book. Looking forward to your next installment Miranda Parker.

SOMEONE BAD AND SOMETHING BLUE (ANGEL CRAWFORD) - $8.69 - - - Beautiful, brainy, and tough-as-nails, single mom and bail recovery agent turned sleuth Angel Crawford has a lot on her plate. But between crime-solving and kindergarten carpool, it's all in a day's work.
Ordered to take a vacation, Angel gives in and sets out to solve the mystery that's got her living on the edge: a disturbing delivery and haunting message that transports her back to the tragic day her fiancee, Gabriel Hwang, was murdered. Convinced the trail to the killer is no longer cold after six long years, Angel embarks on a hunt for the truth that propels her
into Atlanta's secretive speakeasy society, the annual Running of the
Brides, and a romp around a swamp with a handsome U.S. Marshall that may ruin her future with Pastor Justus Too-Hot-To-Be-Holy Morgan. That is,
providing she has a future. 

I just love that name, “Pastor Justus Too-Hot-To-Be-Holy Morgan.”  I’m wondering how much he is like Reverend Curtis Black.  Maybe, maybe not. 

LUTISHIA LOVELY - DIVINE INTERVENTION (HALLELUJAH LOVE) - $9.39 - - - I’m telling you, these “church” books are getting lots of exposure.  More drama in church than Congress.  They probably have drama, but I’m sure it’s boring as hell.

The first family of the Mount Zion Progressive Baptist Church lives to preach. But when it comes to practice, they could use a little divine intervention.

Minister King Brook's daughter, Princess, is about to marry the man she thinks she loves until a disaster leaves her lavish wedding, and her life, in shambles. Her ex, Kelvin, has returned to win her back. Her fiancee, Rafael, is determined to tie the knot. And when Princess's grandfather, the Reverend Doctor Pastor Bishop Overseer Mister Stanley Obadiah Meshach Brook, Jr.,(long name, don’t you think?) adds his own unexpected contribution to the matrimonial mayhem, all you-know-what breaks loose.

Meanwhile, Princess's mother, Tai, is working hard to keep it all together. As if her daughter's wedding bell blues aren't enough, menopause has her losing her sex drive, gaining weight, and battling insecurities. But King's too busy to talk, her mother-in-law is in a fight of her own, and her best friend is dealing with a major family crisis. Tai learns that when God is all you've got, He's all you need. All, that is, except some decisions and some actions that aren't always so divine.


Got to get one in for Black History Year (I need to laugh)
PAT G’ORGE-WALKER - CRUSIN ON DESPERATION - $5.31 - - - I got lucky and found this book at the Friends of Library book sale.  Once I started reading it, I went and brought her others.  The woman is funny as hell (if I can state that).
The members of the “Oh-Lawd-Why-Am-I-Still-Single” church group have gathered to complain about the slim pickings in their little town of Pelzer, South Carolina. They're determined to revamp their man-chasing tactics. And newcomer Birdie Tweet, the only Caucasian member of the group, may offer just the opportunity they're looking for.
At forty-two and nearly six feet tall, Birdie's love life has been as unpromising as the other women's until a recent phone call from a man she met two years before. Honey-colored and debonair, Lyon Lipps is an irresistible Afro-Latino hunk. Unbeknownst to Birdie, he's also a con artist who has seduced women of all ages, races, shapes, and sizes. Now he's found Jesus and wants to reconnect with good Sister Tweet.
But when Birdie passes around Lyon's photo, which is actually his mug shot, several in the group recognize him. Even their sorriest wallflower, Sister Petunia, has been blessed--and cursed--with his attentions. With each tale, Birdie's hopes for romance die, and her anger is resurrected.
The ladies devise a way to get payback from Lyon Lipps while improving their chances of meeting men at the same time. They're going cruising aboard the aptly named ship, Desperation of the Seas. And they're planning to trick Lyon into sailing along with them by making him the lucky "winner" of a free ticket.
Soon, they're sailing the high seas, riding a wave of bickering, betrayal, and unholy behavior, with plenty of laughs--and a few genuine revelations--along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment