Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day of Caring



Number 25


Man, I had a great week, but at the end, I got sick as a dog with a bad cold. I know I got it from some of those kids I read to at North Charleston Elementary School on the “Day of Caring” day. You know how it is, you are around kids and if they have a cold, you got a cold. I’m just pissed that it takes us adults a bit longer to recuperate than them. The little devils will catch a cold and spread it all throughout the house and school and come back in two or three days to running around and enjoying themselves, while we adults are suffering for a week or more. Damn, don’t you hate getting sick?

If you are not aware of the “Day of Caring. “ its part of the United Way Worldwide network of nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. It’s a worldwide social movement, and thereby mobilizes millions to action to give, advocate and volunteer to improve the conditions in which they live.

Our agency participates each year by getting volunteers to donate a few hours or a whole day to service. We went to North Charleston Elementary School to help the teachers and read to the students. We were also in a Parade with funny hats and clothes. That’s me at the top showing my funny hat, which was made from a Xerox box top with books covers taped all around it and a few small toys attached, which I gave to some of the kids. My favorite book cover was Ms. Spider. I love that book. I use to read it to my daughter all the time. It is so colorful. You know I enjoyed myself immeasurably. Any time there is a need to encourage kids to read books, I’m there, and it’s just that this time, I brought a little something back from it, a very bad cold. I have been sick in the bed since Friday and now just getting a little bit better. Oh well, continue to drink orange juice and aspirin and keep on going. Volunteer one year; you may actually enjoy helping others out.

Did any one read Terry’s McMillan book, “GETTING TO HAPPY?” I read it as soon as I got it in the mail and it was a good thing because I joined a new book club, The Literary Divas of the Lowcountry. I had the best time. Not all of the members were there, but the four of us ate at the Social Wine Bar in downtown Charleston and it’s hard to find parking unless you are willing to pay 5 to 10 dollars. Well, I got slick, or so I thought, and found a parking space a few bocks away and got a parking ticket. Hey, you can’t win them all. The three women I did meet are beautiful and intelligent and we all agree it’s a great book and it took me back to her first book, “MAMA”, which to this day I still love. It shows in so many ways how it feels to be over 40 or 50 and either you found love and lost it, or still looking for love and wondering if you will every find it. It surfaced a few feelings to me. How do I find love at my age when the pool is so small? And do you really need to give up and enjoy being single. Questions? Questions? I’ll figure it out later. My girls, Savannah, Robin, Bernadine and Gloria are still funny and the best part of the book is when all of them are having conversations. It’s worth the read.

Now, on to Books and more BOOKS!!

DEBORAH FLETCHER MELLO
PROMISES TO A STALLION - $3.99 - - - Tierra Brady receive a Dear John letter from her overseas fiancé, who is jilting her, but the guy delivering the note, Sergeant Travis Stallion, has ideas of his own.


BRENDA JACKSON
IN TOO DEEP: HUSBAND MATERIAL\THE SHEIKH’S BARGAINED BRIDE - $3.40


SHONDA
SHE SLIPPED AND FELL - $7.99 - - - Quote from Amazon, “Tina Jones is alluring and outspoken. Kendall Long is sexy, yet delicate. Whether separate or together, these stunning best friends tend to cause quite a stir among the male population. An innocent fall, however, propels their friendship to a new plateau -- one where each is compelled to explore and confront her sexuality. “She Slipped and Fell” alternates between each characters' point of view, for only Tina and Kendall can decide whether or not their friendship, and love, is strong enough to endure the humility that is oftentimes associated with being different.


FIONA ZEDDE
HUNGRY FOR IT - $9.69 - - - That title alone would at least make me wanna look inside. Also by her:
A TASTE OF SIN - $8.96


BRENDA JACKSON
NO MORE PLAYAS - $9.99


SHEILA GOSS
A FOREVER LOVE - $2.39


ZURI DAY
WHAT LOVE TASTES LIKE - $4.47
LESSONS FROM A YOUNGER LOVER - $4.47


VICTOR L. MARTIN
THE GAME OF DECEPTION - $9.99 - - - Quote from Amazon - "Get it how you live it," is the foundation of the street lawmakers. When two well connected Arabs enter the city limits of Durham, North Carolina, they do so without knowing the rules of the land. Pay close attention to the main character of your favorite gangster movie or novel and you will see that in the end, all the person wants is to be is happy...Ghetti is no exception. Envy, lies, hate, love and poor judgment are the true gangsters in the streets. In this page turning tangle of emotions, Ghetti finds himself facing the greatest gangster of them all - Love. They say it's God's greatest gift, but neither Ghetti nor Love was prepared for “THE GAME OF DECEPTION”.


MARILYN LEE
ANY TIME, ANY PLACE - $0.99 - - - Any Time Any Place is a very short, sweet version of Marilyn Lee’s latest full-length erotic romance, Loving Large—Yours, Only and Always. In Any Time Any Place, a shy divorced teacher meets a handsome man who wants to get to know her—Any Time Any Place. Oh! Yeah!!!


WILLIAM JORDAN
ANTHOLOGY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN LITERATURE (20+ WORKS WITH ACTIVE TABLE OF CONTENTS - $2.99

1 comment:

  1. Valinda,
    I discovered your blog today. Thanks for the mention i.e. She Slipped and Fell. I look forward to your feedback.
    ~Shonda
    www.shondasbookshelf.com

    ReplyDelete