Friday, February 22, 2013

Black Kindle - Christian Flavors!!!


NUMBER 142
“You know? I really need some help!!! I have lost my ever loving mind.  Went to the library for a board meeting and afterwards, browsed around and took out six books.  I got books at home I have not finished reading like, DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN – TEAM OF RIVALS: THE POLITICAL GENIUS OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN - $9.99 - - -Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Saw the movie and love Daniel Day Lewis.  Hope he wins the Oscar, of course he is going to win!!!!).  So far the book is damn good and I’m learning more and more about Lincoln and his “rivals” Edwin M. Stanton, Salmon P. Chase, William H. Seward and Edward Bates.  All of these “rivals” or strange bedfellows were new to me and it’s been fascinating to read.  It’s a very long book, 754 pages, but it’s worth it.  MICHAEL GATES GILL – HOW STARBUCKS SAVED MY LIFE – PAPERBACK -$9.86 - - - How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else.  How in the world did I get this book?  This old white guy at the library where I volunteer is always recommending books to me and it was too funny to turn down.  Older white guy, who was part of the elite “white, corporate, Harvard, and materialistic groupeezs", get’s downside, divorced from wife and his mistress, “baby mama” dumps him.  He finds himself dressed in his Brooks Brothers suite, sitting in Starbucks in Manhattan sipping his last expensive Latte`. A young African American girl stops by the table and ask, “Would you like a job?”   That one line is what starts his life over again and a new way of accepting people at their real value.  It propels his life in a completely different direction then the way he was raised and lived.  I’m laughing and enjoying it the hell out it. 
I did finish one book.  The “We are Northwood Book Club,” my church group, met on Feb 4 to discuss DEE HENDERSON – THE NEGOTIATOR (THE O’MALLEY SERIES #1) - $9.39 - - - The Negotiator: 1 (O'Malley).  It is the first in the O’Malley series.  The previous month we read the prequel in the series, DANGER IN THE SHADOWS (PREQUEL TO THE O’MALLEY SERIES) - $9.39 - - - Danger in the Shadows: 0 (O'Malley), which introduced us to Dave Richman, a Christian and FBI agent protecting his sister from a “real nut case,” while she is falling in love with Adam, another good guy with Christian values.  It was a good and fast read of forgiveness and, of course, romance, which made us want to learn more about the O’Malley’s.
The O’Malley’s, 7 or 8, I can’t remember, It’s early and I’ve been at work since 6:00am with not enough coffee in me to deal with these people today.  The O’Malley’s were children orphans who pull together and became a family.   The Negotiator is about Kate, a hostage negotiator who meets Dave Richman at a bank heist while she is negotiating with a “nut case,” and you know the rest.  Conflicts, love, more danger, “nut cases” (I use that word a lot, don’t I), revenge and finding a lost blood brother.  Though it all, Dave keeps his faith and helps Kate find hers. We have come to the conclusion that these books will end the same.  Dangerous situation and falling in love, but the main theme is still forgiveness and keeping faith in GOD.  You can't beat that theory!!
Our next book is, THE GUARDIAN 2 (O’MALLEY) - $9.99 - - - The Guardian: 2 (O'Malley).  A federal judge has been murdered. There is only one witness. And the assassin wants her dead. U.S. Marshal Marcus O’Malley thought he knew the risks of the assignment, but you know he was wrong. 
We started a conversation at the last meeting on how hard it has been to locate another Christian writer like, FRANCINE RIVERS - REDEEMING LOVE $9.99 - - - Redeeming Love: A Novel.  I can read that book over and over again.  It is a love story, but not just any love story.  Angel, sold into prostitution, grows a bitters hatred towards men, and!! OK, I get that part.  She meets Michael Hosea and he does not, does not give up on her.  He prays and prays all the while keeping his heart and faith with GOD.  I just love, love that book and still feels so happy and cry during the last scene when Sara finally comes, on her knees no less, to Hosea.  What a woman and what a man!!!! 
We just about covered all of Francine River’s books last year and for 2013 we are going to try Dee Henderson.  We may change up a bit and I will let you know.  I’ve even got them thinking of reading some African American Christian writers, since I was selected as the leader for 2013.  Man! I’m always volunteering my time somewhere, somehow.  I got a serious sickness, don’t I? 
Well that’s three, so here are the ones I got from the Library on Wednesday.  I should be ashamed of myself, but I can’t help myself!!!
DON MACLEON - How to Find Out Anything: From Extreme Google Searches to Scouring Government Documents, a Guide to Uncovering Anything About Everyone and Everything - $9.99 - - - How to Find Out Anything: From Extreme Google Searches to Scouring Government Documents, a Guide to Uncovering...- - I went to the New Fiction/Non Fiction section and it look interesting.  I went through it quickly and it does cover some items you may have had in the past in searching on Google.  It's OK, but it really could have been a pamphlet not a book.  I would, though, recommend it to teens and older adults who have had limited Internet usage.    

Hey, the winner of the John Newbery Medal - KATHERINE APPLEGATE - THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN - $8.87.  I guess I will get about three copies for the Bring Your Child To Work Day in April.   The One and Only Ivan.


Got to get one in for Black History Year
"Let's stay on the Christian path, shall we?"
WANDA B. CAMPBELL - FIRST SUNDAY IN OCTOBER - $3.99 - - - Another book I got and don't need.  Who cares, I love it!!!!Julia Simone has been thru some very hard times. Her first husband died, leaving her a single parent; her second husband was an abusive man. She has overcome all those difficulties and is now very successful. Julia has everything she could ever want: a beautiful daughter, a loving family, a best friend, and is financially sound. The only thing missing from her life is a true love, but Julia has given up on ever finding that. Besides, she does not have time to get involved with someone.

Rev. Reginald Pennington is a man with a past that would surprise many. He is ashamed of his past, but he is now a different man. He is a man with a purpose, to spread the word of God. He has committed himself to his church, heart and soul. When his path crosses with Julia's, the electricity between them is very evident to everyone but him. He keeps her at arms length, wanting to be with her but telling himself he has no plans to get involved.

Julia and Reggie become fast friends after a business deal between her company and his church. At first, they tell themselves it is merely friendship, and then they become closer and things start to change. Julia's feelings change when Reggie sends mixed signals. Each has a past that they must come to terms with; things for which they must forgive themselves in order to move forward. Life altering events bring surprises and sorrow that test their faith in God, themselves, and each other.   
First Sunday in October

No comments:

Post a Comment